I have been very busy recently….self-inflicted by buying this:
My new beloved guitar! Kept me busy day and night before I realise that my blog has not been updated for a while now.
Thinking of my black forest at the moment so I guess I will talk about it.
Black forest is probably one of the first few cakes I made which I thought is heavenly. It was so delicious that I could not stop making it.
These are just a few pictures of the black forest I made 5 years ago:
Pictures below: The more recent black forest I made during christmas for a christmas party:
I think the hardest part is slicing the sponge into 3 layers as you will need a base that spins to enable an even cut and also a serrated knife to slice across.
Recipe for German black forest adapted from Aunty Yochanna:
Sift the flour together:
125 gm. cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
75 gm. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
80 gm. egg yolks (About 4 eggs)
50 gm. cornoil
50 gm. fresh milk
35 gm. cocoa powder + 70 gm. hot water
160 gm. egg white
80 gm. sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
300 gm. whipped cream – whipped
1 tin or dark pitted cherries – drained (I use Hartley’s cherries and the only place which sells this is waitrose. I once tried sainsbury’s pitted cherries and the results of the cake was horrendous.)
200 gm. Blueberry pie filling/ blueberry jam
200 gm. grated / scraped chocolate – for sides
(1) Combine (B) ingredients together till smooth, add in sifted flour mixture and blend till smooth.
(2) Whisk egg white with sugar and cream of tartar till stiff.
(3) Fold in (1) and (2) then pour into a 9″ round tin and bake at 180C for about 35 to 45 mins. or till cooked.
(4) Leave to cool completely then slice into 3 layers of cake.
(5) Spread some whipped fresh cream on the 1st layer of sponge cake, then spread some blueberry pie filling on top and place some pitted cherries on top. Place the second layer of cake on top and repeat the same process till the 3rd layer cake is on top.
(6) Cream the whole cake with fresh cream.
(7) Spread scraped chocolate for the side and top. Decorate to your desire.
(8) Chill the cake before serving.