I love blueberry cheese tarts.
I used to follow Aunty Yochanna’s blog…. and stumbled upon her blueberry cheese tarts recipe. One of her creations that brought me to popularity. My friends would ask to buy these off me the moment they come out of the oven. I don’t normally get to eat it as they all get sold off faster than I could even take a bite.
The good old days when Facebook was the main ‘advertiser’ for my food. I don’t tend to sell them anymore because I can’t find the time to do so or take orders. I brought these in for my colleagues in Glasgow while I was doing paediatrics. I will always remember my paeds reg who first took a bite at it and said…’OMG…what are these…they are amazing! I would pay you to make them and come to west end to collect them. How much do you sell for one of these?’
It is that popular…
But I declined his generous offer, mainly because I don’t know how I was going to find time to take and complete orders. I always remember the amount of stress I was in as a medical student, rushing home to bake so I can send out the orders on time at 7pm.
I made these back in 2008. Not very perfect looking base as I did not own any of the ceramic beans/copper coins to put on the tart base while they were blind baking. Now, I have loads…the joy of being a working adult. Too many equipment to play around with…
This was taken also at the same time…
Definitely much improved now with skill…These are my blueberry cheese tarts which I baked for my paediatric colleagues in Glasgow in Jan 2013.
Did not managed to take a picture of the unmoulded tarts after baking as I was super tired and never did I think I was going to need the pictures for a blog then…
Recipe for blueberry cheese tarts can be obtained from Aunty yochanna’s website:
Ingredients for Pastry: (Makes about 30 nos.)
100 gm. Butter
60 gm. icing sugar
30 gm. beaten egg
200 gm. Plain flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
Ingredients for Cream cheese filling:
300 gm. Cream cheese
80 gm. icing sugar
1 tsp. lemon paste (alternatively 1 tsp. lemon rind and 1/2 tbsp. Lemon juice)
15 gm. vanilla essence
50 gm. whip cream
25 gm. cornflour – sieved
2 nos. large eggs
Some Blueberry Jam topping (make sure that it is good quality jam as it does affect the quality of the tarts produced. The only blueberry jam I would use is bonne maman brand..I tried st Dalfour’s and it disappointed me…)
(1) Cream butter, icing sugar till slightly creamy.
(2) Add in beaten eggs, salt, and vanilla essence.
(3) Fold in flour and mix into a dough. Leave in the fridge for 20 mins.
(4) Press dough into tart mould and cut off excess dough.
(5) Bake the tart mould till half-baked and let it cool slightly.
(6) Cream cream cheese and icing sugar till creamy.
(7) Add in lemon paste and vanilla essence.
(8) Add in eggs one at a time , beating well after each addition.
(9) Add in whip cream and mix evenly.
(10) Pour filling into half-baked tarts, scoop a little blueberry jam topping on top of filling and then use a skewer to swirl into a marble effect and bake in preheated oven at 180C for 10 to 15 mins. or till set.
(11) Leave to cool before serving.
You can substitute blueberry jam for strawberry jam and you get strawberry cheese tarts!