Bought 7 boxes of raspberries at a reduced price from Waitrose (still in pretty good condition!) and didn’t know what to do with them. Sudden inspiration to bake a double chocolate cake topped with raspberries. I was surprised how well the taste turned out though. When i was cutting the layers, I somehow think that this cake can be split into 3 layers but of course I didn’t have enough cream to do so. Perhaps next time… Got this recipe from a website but the instructions were pretty confusing at one point so I did some rephrasing work on the recipe.
Nevertheless, credits to the original person who made this recipe: http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/raspberry-and-double-chocolate-cake
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
225g butter, at room temperature, plus a little extra for greasing
225g caster sugar
For the filling:
200g white chocolate
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g fresh raspberries
1. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, electric mixer or food processor if you have one.
2. Beat in one egg, then a spoonful of the flour mix, continue adding eggs and flour alternately until it has all been added and the mixture is smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into a lightly buttered 23cm spring form tin, that has been lined with a circle of greaseproof or non-stick baking paper, then bake in a preheated oven, 160°C /325°F /gas mark 3 for 35-40 minutes, or until the top feels firm and a skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the centre.
4. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then loosen the edge and unclip the tin. Loosen the base and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. When the cake is cold, melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whip the cream in another bowl then fold in 3/4th of the melted chocolate and the vanilla. Reserve the 1/4th of melted white chocolate for making curls.
6. Peel the lining paper from the cake, then cut into two layers. Put one of the layers on a serving plate, spoon over half the cream then sprinkle with half the raspberries. Add the other cake half and repeat the layers.
7. Drizzle some melted white chocolate from a spoon/disposable piping bag in zigzag lines over the top of the cake and finish with the chilled chocolate curls. Cut into slices to serve.