Lets talk about the triple layered cheesecake I made in 2009 which is like nearly 4 years ago :S! How time flies! It is a cake which has a dark chocolate layer, white chocolate layer and a coffee layer. Heavenly!
I haven’t made this cake since 2009 as I thought I would rather explore other recipes rather than baking the same thing again and again. This is my housemate’s favourite cake and he has been pestering me non-stop to bake it ever since he took his first bite.
Baking has its ups and downs. I still worry when I bake that something will potentially go wrong. But I am sure no matter what happens, the students will gladly devour them!
Triple layered cheesecake recipe by Y3K cookbooks on delicious cakes:
Ingredients for base:
200g digestive biscuits (milled fine)
50g cornflakes (milled fine)
30g soft brown sugar, 125g butter
1tbsp instant coffee powder (mixed with 1/2 tbsp hot water)
100g cooking chocolate (melted by double-boiling)
750g cream cheese (at room temperature)
120g caster sugar, 30g cornflour (sieved)
300ml Whipping cream, 4 grade A eggs (lightly beaten)
A: 100g cooking chocolate (melted), 2 tbsps cocoa powder (sieved)
B: 100g white cooking chocolate (melted), 1tsp vanilla essence
C: 1 1/2 tbsps coffee powder (mixed with 1/2 tbsp hot water), 1/4 tsp coffee oil, 1tbsp kahlua (optional)
Decoration: 300g whipping cream and some fresh strawberries and deco gel.
Ganache: 75ml whipping cream, 100g cooking chocolate, 1tsp glucose syrup, some cocoa powder
(1) For base: Heat butter in a pan over low heat. Add in other ingredients. Press mixture evenly onto a 9 inch loose-base tin. Brush melted chocolate on base and chill until set. Wrap outer tin with aluminium foil. Preheat oven at 140 celcius.
(2) For filling: Beat cheese, sugar and cornflour until smooth and creamy. Add in cream. Lastly, add in eggs. Divide mixture into 3 portions.
(3) Stir in ingredient (A) into one portion. Pour onto no. (1) and steam-bake for 30 minutes.
(4) Stir in white chocolate and vanilla into one portion. Pour onto chocolate layer which has baked through. Steam-bake for another 30 minutes.
(5) Stir coffee and coffee oil into the last portion. Pour onto white chocolate layer which has baked through. Steam bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cake in oven with door closed for 30 minutes.
(6) Remove cake from oven and leave to cool completely. Cover cake and chill for at least 6 hours.
(7) Remove cake from tin. Cover with whipped whipping cream. Spread a layer of ganache on top. Fill a piping bag with whipping cream. Pipe out designs. Decorate with ganache. Place strawberries in the centre and brush over with deco gel.